Sunday, February 26, 2012

dog treat recipe

I found this old recipe that I printed years ago and discovered that I had all of the ingredients in my pantry.  Taryn and I decided to give it a try.  It seems like a lot of work but it really isn't and it makes a ton.  I made about 40 treats and still have 1/2 of the dough in the freezer.  The dogs recommend it!  :)

Pooch Peanut Butter Swirls

Dough #1

4 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
1 1/2 cup water
1/3 cup peanut butter (I used chunky because that's all I had)
1 egg

Combine all #1 ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Knead on a lightly floured surface.  Set aside.

Dough #2

4 cups whole wheat flour
2/3 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup mashed banana (this was about 1 1/2 small bananas mashed up)
1 egg
1 1/4 cup water
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
2 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp cinnamon

Combine all #2 ingredients and mix thoroughly.  Knead on a lightly floured surface.

Roll each dough separately to a 1/8 inch thickness, into rectangles.  Lightly brush a little water over the top of the light dough.  Place the dark dough on top, then roll up like a jelly roll.  Wrap the roll in plastic and chill in the freezer for one hour.  Cut the roll into 1/4 inch slices.  Place them on a cookie sheet sprayed with non-stick spray.  Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. 

***The dough was a little too dry so I added a little more water until they mixed better.  Next time I will probably only cook them for 45 minutes.  They are SO hard you can hardly break them apart.  The dogs don't seem to mind though.


No comments: